Catch up!

Thursday 3 July 2014
Gosh – where does the time go! It’s been an age since my last blog post and, as such, I have quite a few completed projects to share with you.
First up my Blue China dress so named as it reminds me of the blue Chinese Willow pattern plates. This fabric actually has tiny green birds in amongst the flowers purchased at Rolls & Rems in Lewisham for around £5.50 a metre. Not much to add on construction as it’s another outing of Simplicity 2444 – a pattern which is my go to at the moment! It’s fully lined in white poplin so is perfect for hot days in London. I’ve managed to resolve most of my baggy neckline issues by grading down to a 14 around the shoulders/neck then back out for the bust/waist. I should probably learn how to do a full bust adjustment at some point. 






Next up is the gorgeous blue floral fabric which I bought on Boxing Day online from Fabric HQ while everyone else was dashing around in the sales! I think it’s kinda 30’s / tropical in style – in fact I’m wearing this dress today with flowers in my hair! The bodice is Simplicity 2444 but with a pleated dirndl skirt. That skirt caused angst as I so wanted all the pleats to perfectly match / be even… I managed on the front but a couple of the back pleats are a little close to the zip for my liking. Anyhow, it’s still cute, despite the pockets adding a bit of bulk on the waistband - I usually leave them loose but decided to sew them into the waistband this time. Due to the blue in the fabric I probably could have got away with only half lining this dress but I decided to fully line in a soft, light blue cotton to avoid any sunshine v Princess Diana moments on the station platform!
                                                         


Next up is my favourite dress of all time! A big claim but I LOVE it. The fabric is from The Remnant House which is a shop I went to in Harrogate at Christmas. This was ordered online and was only £4.99 a metre – a bargain for 100% cotton – it’s called Kensington Rose. This was my second attempt at the 2444 bodice and dirndl skirt and it was much more successful. I love everything about this dress and feel great wearing it! It’s one which I miss when it’s in the washing basket… 
 

                                                               
                 


I then had a break from sewing for myself and made my sister 3 skirts as her birthday present. She’d checked out an M&S skirt which she liked and assured me that it really didn’t have a waistband so off I went. It should have been easy but I had 3 invisible zips break on me while sewing these up! 3! I’ve never had one break before – these were a set of 5 I bought on eBay…. Anyway, fabrics (from left to right) – a blogger favourite of the swimming ladies from my local Rolls & Rems, Springtime in Paris from Ditto Fabrics (sorely tempted to buy more and make a dress from this) and a grey stripe from Eternal Maker



Then another sewing break while I had a week off and we sorted out the living room. I had a new sewing table delivered and, after moving some furniture around, I now have a mini wardrobe to hold all my sewing gear. I sorted through all the scraps of fabric and recycled the little bits and gave the larger pieces to my younger sister who is making a quilt. My little sewing corner is complete!




I then decided not to start any new projects and to instead finish 2 dresses which have been patiently waiting for zips etc. First up was the nautical dress from the Fabric purchased at the Spring Knitting and Stitching show. It was 60” wide so I knew the dress would have a circle skirt. The bodice is 2444 (notice a pattern here?) and it’s fully lined in thin light blue cotton poplin. This dress is really cute to wear although not outside The Royal Albert Hall where it’s a bit windy as I discovered after seeing Coldplay there this week!



Finally – the Flamingo dress McCalls 6696. Gosh this skirtdress has been on the go for about 2 months and I’m SO glad to have finished it as it’s great! I’d already made the bodice and sleeves so spent Sunday attaching the skirt, the front bands and the collar. I finally mastered the collar thanks to this amazing tutorial from Andrea at Four Square Walls blog
I used a green for the collar stand which ending up working as a great contrast! I love this dress even though it felt like it took an age to sew and (in the excitement of getting finished) I sewed the buttonholes onto the front band horizontally instead of vertically – I’m remember that for next time!!
I’m already planning on making another version of this asap!




Next up I think I’m going to try Lisette (Simplicity) 1419 http://www.sewlisette.com/blog/2014/02/introducing-the-new-round-trip-dress-jacket-sewing-pattern-simplicity-1419/ which has a cute collar and try and get through some of the lovely new fabrics I’ve recently purchased.


Enjoy the sunshine! Hannah x

No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page