A Quick Chambray Skirt

Thursday 17 July 2014
You may have noticed that there’s a sale on at Boden at the moment. It seems like every item of clothing is included! I bought myself a couple of their short sleeved Breton striped t-shirts (yellow and blue) and realised, when they arrived, that I didn't have any plain summer skirts to wear them with. I've got lots of patterned skirts but I’m not really a pattern clash kind of person so decided to raid my fabric stash to see if I had anything suitable for a quick make.
Luckily I found I had 1.3m of chambray left from a previous dress so on World Cup Final night I sat down to make myself a skirt. I decided on a pleated dirndl as the fabric was nice a wide and cute it in half length ways.







I tried to work out some rough maths involving the width of the fabric V the width of my waist and pinned some rough 3inch pleats across the front and back. I found my special ironing board cover useful here! I added a pocket on the left and a concealed zip on the right. I also made a rough, interfaced waistband to give the skirt some structure. Luckily the match went into extra time which gave me time to get the hem pressed and stitched up too! It’s quite a thin chambray so I saved it to wear to work yesterday – the first of the humid days in London – and it feel cool and comfortable all day. I good use of some forgotten about fabric.

Sorry - yet another bathroom shot - I should pull the mirror into the hallway - next time! 


Last night I started cutting and sewing the bodice of another dress using fabric which I bought ages ago – a lovely white and light blue polka dot. I’m lining this is a soft white cotton poplin so hoping this will be another good hot weather dress! Photos soon! 
Enjoy the hot weather!

2 comments

  1. What a great skirt, just the thing for hot weather. I love the pleats and the fabric. Hope the pleats weren't too hard to work out, I had a bit of a nightmare with the maths of pleats a few months ago. Also love the ironing board cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! The ironing board cover is so handy for sleeves and hems. The maths wasn't too bad but I think I cause problems for myself by wanting every pleat to be even when they don't have to be!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page