That's Sew Dolly Clackett

Saturday 19 April 2014

Anyone who reads sewing blogs will have come across Dolly Clackett's blogspot aka Roisin who has the most amazing handmade wardrobe of fabulous dresses (prepare to drool). She's getting married in May and Sarah from Rhinestones and Telephones has set up a competition as a wedding gift to Roisin. Rules are pretty simple - sew a dress in the style of Dolly Clackett. Really the perfect excuse to buy the Alexander Henry cowgirl fabric I'd had my eye on for ages from Fabrics Galore. I've already made a skirt from his Aloha girls fabric so know it's good quality stuff.



Sarah had suggested a few patterns which Roisin regularly uses and luckily my favourite, Simplicity 2444, was among them.

I actually finished this dress a couple of weeks ago but for some reason it turned out a little too big - strange how that happens when you use the same pattern as you always do?!? Anyhow I tried the dress on inside out and safety pinned the excess away then just took a little off each side seam.
I made the same alterations as mentioned on my previous post.
I'm really pleased with the way it turned out and wore it to the Fashion and Textiles exhibition where a lady told me I ought to be part of the display - I was made up!
So here is my Cowgirl Dress including the obligatory front door pose a la Miss Clackett herself. Many congratulations to Roisin and Nic - I can't wait to see her homemade wedding dress!






The competition runs until 23 April so there's still time to enter and post your photos on the Flickr group. Happy sewing! 



2 comments

  1. Your fabric choice is brilliant! I love your version of 2444! One of the things I like about 2444's construction is that it is easier to tweak the fit after it's sewn. A simple pin down the side seams and a straight stitch and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I love the Cowgirl fabric and was tempted to get other colours too!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page