Fashion and Textile Museum - Artist Textiles Picasso to Warhol

Monday 14 April 2014



Last week some members of my Crafternoon group visited the Fashion and Textile Museum  in Bermondsey to see the Artist Textile exhibition which looks at the history of art and textiles in the 20th century. The dresses on display are stunning including 4 Horrockses dresses and a couple made from fabric designed by Picasso. I had no idea that Picasso and Warhol had designed fabric so to see the dresses made up was a real treat. On display are some beautiful fabrics from Leger, Hepworth, Matisse and Dali among others.

This gorgeous dress is the first to greet you. A copy of a 1950's Dior dress (small photo just seen) - layers and layers of netting under there! 



The dress on the left has a great animal print fabric. 
LOVE the Horrocks dresses

Princess Margaret wore this Horrocks dress on a tour of Africa in the 1950's



The perfect shirtdress... 


Horrocks Sundress

I wore my Alexander Henry Cowgirl dress which is also my entry for the Sew Dolly Clackett competition (more on that next time) and it obviously makes an impression as a lady told me I should be on display in the museum! It made my day to be able to tell her I’d sewn it myself, I was beaming afterwards.

Anyway a few more photos from the exhibition: 


This is Picasso fabric. 



Warhol watermelon dress

It’s only £8.80 to get in and there’s a café attached for tea and cake afterwards!
The little shop also has a wide selection of books – I couldn’t resist a book on Horrocks dresses and spent the evening drooling over the dresses and planning what I could make in a ‘Horrocks Style’. For anyone interested the museum is holding a talk on Horrocks dresses on 12 May, it's an afternoon event but I must admit, I'm very tempted to book a day off to attend! Further information can be found here : Horrockses Fashions talk 

The exhibition is on until 17th May so still time to visit. 

No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page