The dress Everyone has made - Simplicity 2444

Sunday 23 March 2014


Sometimes a pattern comes out that seems to be featured on everyone’s blogs. I kept seeing Simplicity 2444 everywhere and I could see why: well fitted bodice, cute diagonal darts and pleated skirt with pockets. This sounded like a dream dress. I did a fair amount of image searching before I took the plunge and ordered the pattern but I’m so glad I did! It’s such a quick sew although it took me about a month to get there…




The pattern runs to a size 20 and I normally cut a commercial 22 (I’ve got a tummy & bum!) so I knew I’d need to do some pattern alterations. I decided to cut a toile in their 20 to see how much I’d need to add. When I tried on the calico version I could see the potential in the dress but the alterations just seemed so daunting that I chucked it all back into the wallet and put it back on the shelf. Fast forward a couple of weeks (and a couple more lessons of my pattern cutting course) during a week off work I decided I’d dedicate a day to trying to make the needed alterations. It wasn’t as hard as I thought, I only needed to add a little to the waist on the bodice and skirt and do my usual neck adjustment. On that – anyone else have problems with excess fabric around the upper chest area? According to pattern cutting guru Winifred Aldrich I have a hollow chest (?!?) so I have to drop the inner shoulder slightly to allow for the excess fabric.

Copyright Winifred Aldrich.

Construction:
Fairly standard and easy. Sew in the darts, attach the front to the back, attach the lining (trim & clip the neckline), sew in the pleats, attach pockets then pretty much sew the rest together! Nothing too tricky. My next challenge to myself to is to focus on making the inside of my dresses look as nice as the outside! I need to properly learn how to attach the bodice lining to the waistband with the seams neatly tucked in. I also need to look at attaching the bodice lining to the zip – I’ve done this once by hand but I know there is a machine method too.

I decided to go for a red concealed zip


Yes, I need to work on attaching my lining to the zip in a much more attractive fashion!


Ta da - I wore this to the Knitting and Stitching Show last weekend


Other alterations I made:
  • ·       I half lined the dress in blue cotton.
  • ·       I inserted a bright red concealed zip (my absolute favourite).
  • ·       I made the sleeves slightly longer and added a cuff (instructions from Simplicity 1652.)
  • ·       I lengthened the skirt by 3 inches.



Fabric:

·       3m of cotton chambray from my local Rolls & Rems, £5.50pmt.

I'    I'm already half way through my next 2444 using the blue colour way of 'From the Hip' by Alexander Henry as my entry to the Sew Dolly Clackett competition. 







No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page