Sewing Patterns.

Monday 26 August 2013
In March this year I booked myself onto a sewing course. A 3 hour make an A Line skirt workshop. I had basic knowledge of how to use the machine but my attempts at making pyjamas before had resulted in a pair of trousers more suitable for a clown!
However 2 days later I was wearing my new skirt and totally addicted to sewing! I think some skill must have been passed down from my mum, who used to make all my clothes, and my nan who is a champion knitter. But sewing is an easy skill to learn - really! 



Hopefully I'll be able to guide you through some of my sewing projects as I make myself a new wardrobe. So first up - how to choose your patterns! 
There are many companies who make commercial patterns. To begin with I'd stick with the big ones, make a couple of items, build your confidence then move onto smaller companies. I think the instructions which come with patterns from Simplicity, Butterick, New Look are pretty good and they've been tested over and over so you can be pretty confident that you won't go wrong. 
So, you want to make a dress. How to begin? To start with I generally look on a few websites such as Sew Essential or Sew Direct to see what patterns are available in the style I'm after. Once I've found one I like I'll google it. There will always be at least 2 people who've made the dress before and blogged about it. They are a fantastic source for tips and troubleshooting any mistakes you make. Then I'll also image search it - does it look the same on everyone? What kind of fabric have other people used? Have they made any cool alterations? Does it look like the picture on the front of the pattern? All important points to consider! 
Finally - always, always check the measurements on the back of the pattern envelope. Patterns are sized using old fashioned sizing. So get out your tape measure and get to know your measurements - bust, waist (above your belly button) and hips. Jot them down in inches and compare with the charts. You'll probably find that you'll end up making a dress a couple of sizes larger than your high street off the peg size but don't worry. It will fit if you've measured correctly! 
If you are feeling enthused and fancy your hand at a workshop the magazine Mollie Makes has a good listings section. If you're in London then I recommend paying a visit to The White Room where I've taken a couple of courses - you'll come away as addicted as me! 



Ok, I like the pattern, people say it's easy to make, it looks good on other people - I'm ready to go! Generally my next stop is ebay - there are a couple of sewing shops which sell their patterns a couple of pounds cheaper on ebay than on their websites. Look around! Look out for offers too - Simplicity often have a 'Pattern of the week' offer which is half price. 



The 2 patterns above are ones I've recently made and are good beginner ones. On the left is a retro Butterick 5748. On the right is McCalls 6554. 




No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page