Plans for Sewing The Scene Challenge - 1950s Swing Jacket

Tuesday 19 September 2017
I like to watch DVDs while I sew, usually programmes that I’ve seen before which don’t require too much concentration to keep up with the plot. I tend to watch lots of 1940s/50s dramas (Call The Midwife, The Bletchley Circle, Murder On The Homefront, Partners In Crime etc). So when Jo at The Unfinished Seamstress  posted about the ‘Sew The Scene’ challenge I knew it was one for me!
1950s TV drama

Sewing The Scene challenge


The premise is to sew an item for your everyday wardrobe which has been inspired by film or TV. Easy I thought, I’ve got lots of 50s style dresses from my favourite programmes pinned over on Pinterest and a fabric stash full of vintage inspired fabric, this will be a doodle. Oh, and in case you were wondering, I’d already made my Allied inspired dressing gown at this point so thought I’d better make something else. A couple of weeks went by and I was sitting sewing and watching The Hour (BBC drama series set in a television studio in 1950s London). When the main character Bel, played by the fabulous Romola Garai, arrived for a weekend in the country wearing the most gorgeous swing coat. Now, I will say at this point, that I could only find two photos of this coat across the internet so I’m afraid you must make do with slightly blurry photos from my paused DVD on my laptop.

Bel Rowley from The Hour

Bel Rowley from The Hour


I had a look around for a suitable sewing pattern and decided to use Simplicity 1319, view A https://www.simplicitynewlook.com/simplicity-patterns/1319 which is a vintage reissue. The jacket is described as ‘Vintage 1950s jackets feature cut in 1 sleeve; front and back, collar turns back full length of jacket & forms pocket. Below elbow sleeves fold to cuff.’
Simplicity 1319 Sewing Pattern


Simplicity 1319 Sewing Pattern
I thought that this pattern has enough similarities to the one worn by Bel. It has the fold over collar which runs down the length of the jacket. On 1319 this is stitched down at the hem to form the pocket, on Bel’s jacket there is a separate inset pocket. 

Collar detail on 1950s Swing Jacket


The other main difference is on the back, Bel’s back has a tab to provide some shaping. I’m hoping that, if required, this will be easy enough to replicate without any pattern pieces/instructions. 

Back detail of 1950s Swing Jacket


I made a cotton toile at the weekend to check fit and practise any tricky techniques. The fit was fine as the jacket is quite oversized. There was one fiddly part where you have to clip to a circle then sew over the area, I always find it difficult trying not to get any fabric caught. I’m hoping that with a thicker fabric and the correct lining etc it will be easier.

Toile of Simplicity 1319


I’ve potentially found the fabric I’m going to use, this poly & wool plaid check from Minerva Crafts.

Plaid coat fabric



I’ve held off ordering it as I’m going to Sewing Bee Live this weekend so there’s a chance I might see something there which would work. So, plans are well and truly made and I’m nearly ready to start sewing!

Are you taking part in the Sewing the Scene challenge or heading to Sewing Bee Live this weekend? I'm looking forward to seeing all the TV/film inspired makes! 


2 comments

  1. Ooo! So many gorgeous things in your inspiration photos, those coats are fabulous! Your toile is looking great,good luck with the fabric hunt and making.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lynne - I found the fabric and have already started sewing! Fingers crossed I'll get it finished this week.

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page