Baby Romper

Monday 18 August 2014

Hello!
Hope you've all had a lovely weekend. Mine was very relaxed and involved playing with the kittens and making several toiles of the Mortmain dress... but more on that later in the week!

Today I'd like to show you the baby romper which I made for my (nearly) 6 month old niece Winnie. I used Simplicity 1447 for this romper as there are so many variations in the one pattern. My sister had said that rompers are easier than dresses at the moment as they won't ride up!




I had some beach fabric left over from a dress I made last year and, in the end, the romper only used about 70cm of fabric (if that!) - too cute! The construction was, as the packet claimed, 'easy-to-sew' with cute pleats around the neck line, short sleeves and a curved collar. I bought some white satin bias binding for the neckline to make it nice and soft and there's a lapped zip in the back. I left the pockets off as I didn't want to break up the pattern of the fabric and, really, what's a 6 month old going to keep in their pocket?


You can just see the pleats around the neckline:














My lapped zip - in need of an iron in this photo!






This pattern also require snap tape or 'Teddy tape' as I've also seen it called. I haven't ever used it before so did struggle a little with attaching it with my normal zip foot. I've since discovered that I should have used a narrow adjustable zip foot which I've now ordered for my machine as it looked like a handy foot to have.




In total this was a super quick sew and my niece looks super cute wearing it!




If you fancy having a go at making some baby clothes then you should give this pattern a try - I cut the Large (which is slightly too big for a 6 month old) and there's another size above but I think you could easily grade this pattern up. I can see myself making a fair few of these with odds and ends of fabric leftover from my dressmaking! In fact I've already got the fabric cut for another!



No comments

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Powered by Blogger.

Translate this page